14 February 2007

A Year Older, An Unexpected Distraction, and a Second Life

Greetings Dear Readers,

A YEAR OLDER

This week sees me a year older and a wonderful weekend to show for it. Avalon, my beloved wife planned an excellent birthday for me. We ate well, played games, and I got to spend a great deal of time with her. Many friends were around me and my youngest son, Bezel made a special trip to see me. All said it was a wonderful time and I will cherish it.

We started on Thursday morning with the unexpected rival of Bezel. He came in during my writing time and startled me from my creative reverie. Always a welcome invitation. He and a school chum had drive over night from GA just for my birthday. My sons took me to a favorite Wimpy Bar for lunch and we had breakfast for dinner.

On Friday we went to my favorite diner for breakfast and then to the movies. In the afternoon we played indoor miniature golf and then went to a bar that gives free beer on or near your birthday. In the group of eleven of us that went out for dinner, four of us had birthdays last week. We also had three designated drivers. After dinner we returned to the house and played a wonderful social game called Apples to Apples. Eleven over tired and slightly over indulged adults playing a word game is the perfect recipe for hilarity.

Saturday morning, my actual birthday, we started with bagels and coffee. We saw Hannibal Rising which was surprisingly well done. For dinner we ate at a great local Taco joint and all were satisfied. We spent the remainder of the day sitting around relaxing.

Sunday morning many of us went to church and then to lunch at a new Mongolian Barbecue. It is more upscale and the food was excellent. Bezel and his friend had to depart in the late afternoon for the trip back to GA but it was a joy to see him. Maxim and his intended bride stayed around for a while but Avalon and I went to a friends house for dinner.

AN UNEXPECTED DISTRACTION

Just prior to leaving for dinner on Sunday I felt a sharp jolt in my gums above teeth numbers seven and eight. After a night of extreme discomfort I was honored with an emergency root canal Monday morning. I have one of the best dentists in the cosmos and he made the procedure as bearable as possible. His staff has a unique ability to make one feel safe and genuinely cared for. Thanks to the folks at Dr. Fred's.

The subsequent pain and recovery left me with little brain power for writing so I tried a new venture that I will recommend with caution.

A SECOND LIFE

If you have not discovered Second Life, you should give it a tour. It is a virtual world created on line that you can join for free. www.secondlife.com The world has a real economy and you can be virtually anyone you wish to be. It is self directed and non linear. My Second Life name is Aramis Merlin. Give it a try and look me up if you wish. I am thinking of starting a freelance virtual writing business.

No comments:

Post a Comment