26 December 2014

Boxing Day

Greetings Dear Reader,

The day after Christmas in some places is the day that servants and tradesmen were traditionally give a “Christmas Box.”  It is a time when those who work to service the rest of us are honored. 

I wonder if we truly honor those who work when we are on holiday.  I am so thankful for people like my friend Vanessa, an ER nurse who work odd shifts, long hours, and holidays to care for the needs of others.  Many people were not with family so that we could have help in time of need.

My friend Vosco owns a diner.  He is open on Christmas day because he has so many regular customers who do not have family to go to for a meal.  He gives away Thanksgiving meals to senior citizens on Thanksgiving.  He should be honored that he works on holidays for the sake of others and not due to avarice.

As I ponder all the wonderful gifts my family gave me I prepare to go to that diner for my weekly breakfast out.  On a day when many will be out searching to return unwanted gifts and purchase the things they want I hope to show kindness and respect to those I encounter who serve.  I am content with what I have.  I want to give more.

I want the person who serves me to feel respected, valued, and appreciated.  I want the spirit of Christmas to stretch beyond the gifts and feasting.  I need to live the faith that I have by valuing those who work in service industries every time I encounter them.  Patience and kindness should be the rule.  Respected and valued should be the way we make them feel. 

My Christmas joy is useless if I do not carry it into the daily business of my life.  Mankind is my business.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment