21 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – Nativity Sets

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

I can still remember the first time I saw a nativity set and asked about it.  I was four.  It was the first time I was told the Christmas story and understood it.  It was a four- year- olds’ understanding but it still captivated me.  I would sit and look at the figures and imagine the story over and over.

The issues of life and sin pushed me away from that simple love of a great story.  When I returned to faith years later I rushed to recapture the reminder of this both innocent and complex history.  I keep one out in a few places in my life all year round now.  It helps me keep the birth of Christ and all the implications that follow at the center of my life.

As I read through the Christmas story in Luke each day in December I ponder the nativity on my desk.  It is one of the view that I have seen that gives Joseph the honor he deserves.  I often wish I knew more of his portion of the story.

I have a large collection of the famous Fontanini nativity figures.  They are beautiful and have their own place under one of our Christmas trees.  Other reminders are placed throughout the house.  I wish to always be aware of the place of this part of Christmas in all my dealings with the season. 

I love Christmas because of my love for Christ.   In that manger is the beginning of the fulfillment of all the promises made by God to mankind.  Christmas still has promises to keep.  I find my hope for all them tethered to the manger in Bethlehem. I find the love and joy that wells up within me in that lonely cattle shed.  It is the reason I celebrate. It is the root and flower of Christmas.

A Christmas Song – Jethro Tull

Once in Royal David's City stood a lowly cattle shed,
where a mother laid her baby.
You'd do well to remember the things He later said.
When you're stuffing yourselves at the Christmas parties,
you'll laugh when I tell you to take a running jump.
You're missing the point I'm sure does not need making;
that Christmas spirit is not what you drink.

So how can you laugh when your own mother's hungry
and how can you smile when the reasons for smiling are wrong?
And if I messed up your thoughtless pleasures,
remember, if you wish, this is just a Christmas song.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment