19 December 2014

Why I love Christmas – Fruitcake

Happy Christmas Dear Reader,

Not all fruitcake is created equal.  The ancient Romans first mixed pomegranates, figs, and raisins with the mash for barley cakes to sweeten the bland flat-bread. Variations of this have spun down through the centuries.

I think that more people dislike fruitcake than have actually tried it.  I like fruitcake but it must be moist.  If it is not moist it must be soaked in rum.  Sometimes I intentionally buy dry fruitcake. 

When I want real fruitcake that I can truly enjoy for its own merits there is only one that I have found that will meet the requirements.  Those requirements are that it must be moist, mostly fruit and nuts with little cake, and balanced in the notes or tartness and sweetness.  This fruitcake comes from Claxton, Georgia

For over a century this small company has combined fruit and nuts in a cake that I find delicious and seasonally delightful.  I buy some every December and enjoy it throughout the Christmas season.  I often get comments on how undesirable fruitcake is.  People are surprised at my enjoyment of it.  A few friends have happily given me fruitcake they have received from others just to be rid of it.

I often think that the maligned and rejected fruitcake, so often unwelcome as a gift to others, is a timely lesson for me.  It reminds me to love the undesirable.  It reminds me that ancient foods still have a place in this world as do ancient ideas.  It keeps me in mind of the value of trying things that others shun to see the true value. It reminds me that Christ sees the value in every one of us.

Even the inferior fruit cakes that I receive are granted hope.  After all many things are made better with the suitable application of some fine rum.   

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment