27 June 2005

This Week's Reading 06-27-05

Greetings All,

This week I am reading an excellent work of fiction and some good thinking materials.

The fictional work is Steven King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes. It is somewhat of a departure as all of the stories are not terror. There is a mixture of terror, suspense, science fiction, and human nature study. I highly recommend this for a more well rounded view of SF's mind and skills. When I am finished with this book, I plan to begin his Dark Tower series. I know, I am way behind, but I am catching up ;-}

The other book I am journeying through is Ken Wilber's A Brief History of Everything. It is philosophical, scientific, and religious all at once. I often disagree with Wilbur's assumptions but find him an excellent foil to my thinking. The conversational style of the book can be difficult at times, but I started reading it as if I were reading a script and that helped. Limber up your brain and give Wilber a whirl.

I am also reading a great deal about the early star gazers called Magus or Magi. I am working on a novel about them and have been digging into the early days of astronomy. Some of the books I havd found useful are The Magi, by Ken Vincent; The Star of Bethlehem, by Michael R. Molnar, and The Gospel in the Stars, by Joseph Seiss.

I would like to challenge all of you to develop and use a summer reading list. Let me know if you do and what you are reading.

Until next time,

Wishing you all joy in the journey,

Aramis

No comments:

Post a Comment