20 October 2009

The Long Dark

Greetings Dear Readers,

I love the Lord of the Rings movies, based on the Tolkien novels. I have loved the books since I was a young boy. One of my favorite moments is when Gandalf resigns himself to the traveling through the Mines of Moria. His simple statement is so foreboding; “And now, to the long dark.”

Facing the long dark is always daunting. I feel like I have been walking in the long dark and I can just see the first light up ahead in the long tunnel I travel. The thing is that Gandalf brings his own light with him and so have I. One of the things I have learned most clearly is that we carry the Light, Christ with us whenever we are in the dark. My problem is I forget He is there. I see the wilderness, the darkness, or the treacherous terrain instead of focusing on Christ and his warm, safe, guidance.

I can see the light ahead, but more importantly, the long dark, though filled with denizens and danger, has not been all that dark. Christ has been there every moment patiently showing me the next step along the way. What I must not fail to do is realize that there is a vital truth to carry into the bright sunlight as I exit the darkness. The light that I carry is to be my guide even in the warm sunlight. The Light, Christ shines far brighter and I must not depend on the light around me but rather on Christ and his guidance. As the Crusader’s Hymn reminds us, “Jesus shines fairer, Jesus shines brighter.” I must not fail to follow the light of Christ even though I think I am out of the darkness.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment