30 January 2010

Constant Course Corrections

Greetings Dear Reader,

Lately in the news there is much talk about laws governing the use of mobile phones whilst driving. Laws are pending that make it illegal to text or talk on the phone without a hands free device. Just yesterday at breakfast my beloved Son pointed out how he sees fewer headsets like my Bluetooth that I have had for a couple of years now. I think that the laws are a good idea because I know how distracted I get when I am sitting at this desk texting or talking.

The necessity comes from the simple fact that whether driving, flying, or boating, what we do needs constant course corrections. The small back and forth of the steering wheel, yoke, or helm creates adjustments in our movement toward our destination. Without really thinking about it consciously, we move toward our goal as our brain quietly calculates the course corrections that keep us between the lines or headed toward a point.

I am learning more and more that aside from the fellowship and support that church provides, my time sitting and learning and my time studying the Bible gives me constant small corrections. So many other things can become a distraction. Everything I do that takes my focus off of where Christ walks becomes something that can lead me outside the lines or away from the goal of being closer to Christ.

Sometimes people make fun of my headset. It serves me well. In my twenty minute drive to my teaching job I can use the time to call family that is far away without taking my eyes or attention off of the road. I have begun to try and remove things that hinder my focus on Christ as well. I realized a few months ago that a portion of me was always on the defensive; always needing to be “safe.” I am realizing that I become more safe when I do not worry about defending myself or being accepted and just give my very best to following Christ in the moment.

As my pastor so often says, we are all crooked sticks. We all are Cretans: Liars, Savage Beasts, and Gluttons. I must make constant course corrections in my movement toward Christ and never think that I have it so in hand that I can look away from the goal. I must also be thankful for those along the way who show me when I am drifting into the other lane or getting off course; even the ones who blast their horn or flip me off. After all it is about the journey and how we take. The destination is a constant.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment