29 January 2010

In Memory of Jana

Greetings Dear Readers,

I lost a dear friend this past week. We never met face to face and had we lived in the same city, we probably would have never met by incident. She was an Afghani refugee and a follower of Zoroastrianism. She made her way to London after her parents were killed by the Taliban. In our first conversation she was so afraid to speak that she apologized after everything she said.

As she healed from the torture and abuse heaped upon her by fallen men she began to speak to me of her father and his teaching her about Jesus even though they were not followers of Christ. She told how he instructed her to embrace his teachings of grace, mercy, love, and forgiveness.

Jana did not know my sons but as she read my blog and saw my love for them, she would ask about them and pray for them. She prayed for my eldest son on his wedding day and constantly asked after his bride and her well being. Jana knew of my longing to be around my younger son more and cried for joy when he moved to live with me. She befriended my daughter and helped her through much emotional pain.

When it was clear that Jana was recovered enough to work outside of the refuge in which she lived, she chose to stay and work there so that she could aide other refugees as they arrived. I have been thinking all week how someone who was not a Christ Follower lived his teachings better than I do at times. She forgave her torturers and abusers and told how she hoped they would find faith to help see the error of their ways.

Jana challenged me all the time when I would express things as to whether they were centered on Christ or not. She would agree lovingly with my statements that were and gently nudge me away from opinions that were contrary to Christ’s examples and words. If we all dealt with disagreements as Jana did the world would be a very peaceful place. She has changed my approach to disagreements for life I hope.

After a battle with H1N1 over the past few weeks, Jana slipped away from us. The scars and pain of her mortal abuse no longer plague her but I know she would have endured them without complaint if it meant she could have helped others. I will miss her sweet gentle way of reminding me that my faith makes a difference. The world is less for her absence and eternity is richer for her presence.

Jana, we love you and miss you.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Christmas29/1/10 23:09

    Thank you Papa,
    I miss her terriably and she would have loved what you have written about ehr. I miss her so much.
    I love her and you
    Rest in Peace dear Jana

    ReplyDelete