16 August 2014

Am I Enough – Job Speaks - Friends

Greetings Dear Reader,

It is so clear that Job understands what friendship is.  He has lost everything except his life, his “friends”, he wife, and his faith.  He sits in sackcloth (read that burlap) and ashes.  I think that we can look to Job for a clear understanding of friends.

The other day my brother commented on the failure of Job’s friends when talking about the death of Robin Williams.  “Job's ‘friends’ were so concerned about the morality of his tragedy that they forgot to bring their hearts and simply mourn with him.”

We tell people that we care about them whilst judging, hurting, and condemning them.  We say that we are just being honest of being a good friend when we do not see the pain and damage we cause by our actions.  How do we dare call ourselves followers of Christ when we refuse to be honorable with our friends and family?

A friend loves at all times.  A friend does not judge and condemn.  A friend is bound by what they promise.  The show compassion, kindness, and support.  They do not intentionally hurt others to get what they want.  I see people I love doing this to people I love.  It is so far from what Christ wants us to be as his followers.

I know that I have done the same in the past and the pain of it echoes still in those I have betrayed and in my heart.  We damage others telling ourselves that it will not turn out badly.  We take our wants over what a true friend, sibling, parent, child, or spouse should be.  We then choose to believe the lie that there will not be painful, life-altering consequences.  It never works out that way.

Job also reminds us that when betrayed by those who are supposed to be friends and family we have a friend who pleads our case before God.  He speaks clearly that we have a friend, Christ, the Messiah who pleads with us to God for justice.  I do not need to seek vengeance or use my anger against those who betray me.  I can love them, forgive them, and pray for them.  God will hear my advocate and see to justice. 

Later we will see how important it is for me to assure that my heart is directed toward my friends in love and forgiveness.  No matter how much they hurt me I must give my best.  I must still be a true friend so I do not become guilty of the same sin.    

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

Job 16:1-22
Then Job replied to his friends,
"I have heard many things like this before. You are all pathetic at comforting me.
Will your long-winded speeches never end? What disturbs you that you keep on answering me?  I, too, could speak like you if we could trade places. I could string words together against you and shake my head at you.  I could encourage you with my mouth, and my quivering lips could ease your pain.  If I speak, my pain is not eased. If I stop talking, how much of it will go away?
”But now, God has worn me out. You, God, have destroyed everyone who supports me.  You have shriveled me up, which itself is a witness against me. My frail body rises up and testifies against me. 
"God's anger tore me apart and attacked me. He gritted his teeth at me. My opponent looked sharply at me.  People gaped at me with wide-open mouths. In scorn they slapped my cheeks. They united against me.  God handed me over to unjust people and threw me into the hands of wicked people.  I was at ease, and he shattered me. He grabbed me by the back of the neck and smashed my skull. He set me up as his target, and his archers surrounded me. He slashes open my kidneys without mercy and spills my blood on the ground.  He inflicts wound after wound on me. He lunges at me like a warrior. 
"I have sewn sackcloth over my skin, and I have thrown my strength in the dust.  My face is red from crying, and dark shadows encircle my eyes, although my hands have done nothing violent, and my prayer is sincere. 

"Earth, don't cover my blood. Don't ever let my cry for justice be stopped.  Even now, look! My witness is in heaven, and the one who testifies for me is above, the spokesman for my thoughts. My eyes drip with tears to God because in a few short years I will take the path of no return.  But my witness will plead for a human in front of God. The Son of Man will plead for his friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment