14 June 2017

Answer the Pepperoni ~ American Hamburgers

Greetings Dear Reader,

When my Daughter, Christmas first came to live with us I took her to a very nice burger emporium in our town.  It serves excellent food and quality beverages.  She was nervous about being in a new place and hesitant about ordering her meal.  I was unaware of the latter.

The server approached our table and asked for our order.  I gestured to her to go first.  She simply said she wanted a burger with fries.  The server asked, “What kind of bun do you want:  wheat, white, or pretzel?” 

Christmas, visibly nervous replied, “White?”

The server continued, “How would you like it cooked?”

Christmas knew this one but was still nervous, “Well done. Very well done please.”

The serve had more questions, “What kind of cheese would you like?  Do you want lettuce, tomato, grilled or raw onion?”

I saw real fear rise up in my Daughter’s eyes as she was overwhelmed by the choices.  I suggested to the server that she bring it all on a separate plate so Christmas could build her own burger.  I then ordered my burger but was already pondering what made this so difficult for her.

The server was not too far out of ear shot before Christmas explained.  “I am not used to having so many choices.  A burger is burger.  You get it the way it is served.” 

I was keenly reminded of the differences in so many cultures.  We have so many choices in our nation.  We have so many ways to express who we are.  It is in those differences of expression that we find our uniqueness.  It is where we can see that we are all of value. 

It is in loving who each person is that I can find the light of the Father in them.  The spark of the Creator is expressed in his unique touch to each of them.  If I hope to follow Christ well I must see and celebrate this in everyone.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. For someone like me, with anxiety, it's really hard when someone offers a bunch of choices and you haven't thought about it for an hour ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete