03 June 2017

Penny and Pound ~ Worrisome Words

Greetings Dear Reader,

One of the terms that recently stopped me in my tracks was “alternative facts”.  By its very nature a fact is “a thing that is indisputably the case.”   It is, therefore, unreasonable and worrisome when one claims that there are alternative facts. 

Just the facts Ma'am.  Just the facts...
We may disagree on ideas and ideals.  When we disagree on things of substance we look for facts.  When we disagree that there are absolute truths we really have no ground on which to stand.  Pilate asked this of Jesus.  He asked “What is truth?” 

We seek axiomatic principle in almost everything and in many cases reject what we find.  If we claim that there are no fundamental truths then we are loaded with logical difficulties in all communication.  In many cases the alternate truth is a lie or an error.

We demand that others embrace our “truth” and judge them if they do not.  Again, both the right and left do this with vigor so do not think that there are alternate truths about it.  I realize that there is a question begged here and I will not duck it.

I claim to hold belief in some very narrow absolute truths.   I also realize that these truths are not as inclusive as some popular thought would require.  These beliefs do not make me phobic or a racist.  They do not generate hatred or prejudice. 

Everything I believe is based on two primary requirements.  I must love God with all my heart, soul, mind, and strength.  This alone is a lifelong effort that must be renewed daily.  I must love my family, neighbors, strangers, and enemies without qualification.

This means that anything else I claim as truth must fall in line with those requirements.  I cannot accept that there are alternate facts that go against this requirement.  I will not accept that I have to agree with you about everything to live out these commands.  In fact, I am required to reject ideas that would make these commands invalid.

If there are no hard truths that we can treat as the bedrock of our congress together then everyone is entitled to their own choice of alternate facts.  I know what my dangerous weaknesses are.  The world does not want an Aramis Thorn who pursues those alternate “truths”.   More on that thinking tommorw.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment