12 June 2017

Answer the Pepperoni ~ Opening Thoughts

Greetings Dear Reader,

In the show Gilmore Girls, there is a moment of advice that resonates with me.  Here it is in brief:

MAX: How can they possibly eat more?
DEAN: Kind of surprised.
MAX: I know. They're bottomless pits.
DEAN: I mean at you. You've known them long enough not to be so confused.
MAX: Oh, I'm not confused. I'm just . . . what do you mean?
DEAN: Their eating habits are just the start of what you're gonna have to get used to. There's tons of stuff you should be aware of.
MAX: Really?
DEAN: Oh yeah. Like, don't ever use the last of the Parmesan cheese. And never get into a heavy discussion late at night 'cause that's when they're at their crankiest. Oh, and uh, go with their bits.
MAX: Their bits?
DEAN: Yeah, like, if you're eating pizza with them and Lorelai decides that the pepperoni is angry at the mushrooms because the mushrooms have an attitude and then she holds up a pepperoni and the pepperoni asks for your opinion...don't just laugh. Answer the pepperoni.
MAX: Answer the pepperoni.

Dean is advising Max to be aware of and respond to the quirks of the “Gilmore Girls”.  This is not a deep dive but there is value to be had in shallow waters as well.  We have difficulty accepting the differences of others even when they are unimportant.  We see the quirks of others as a reason to reject them

I want to instead see them as something to celebrate.   I want to understand people better. I want their diversity to be what enchants me about other humans.  This does not mean that I have to embrace every philosophy and belief.  It does mean that there are things about which I should not care. 

Indifference, however, is not enough.  I must also find the beauty and grace in the uniqueness of others.  I must ponder what matters and what does not.  I muse celebrate other deliberately.  I hope you join me as I ponder just how to answer the pepperoni Dear Reader. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous13/6/17 03:53

    The difference in people is what God made, it's beautiful and should be celebrated. Speak out and show love to those small quirks all the time.

    ReplyDelete