13 June 2017

Answer the Pepperoni ~ Toilet Paper Rolls and Toothpaste Tubes

Greetings Dear Reader,

I know a couple who have been married for over twenty years.  They work together well and have a very amicable marriage.  Their children are happy.  They have rewarding careers and missionaries. 

The harmony of their home, however, is easily shattered if one brings up the issue of how to hand the tissue.  The both believe that there is a “right” way to hang the toilet paper.  The over or under debate is one that seems innocuous but there are people who are very passionate about it.  There is another bathroom debate that does not get as much attention but is also divisive.

The argument of where to squeeze the toothpaste tube also runs throughout families.  This is one of those things that we argue about that really does not matter.  Eventually one must push from the bottom to get all of the toothpaste out. 

What I see is that we major over minors.  I have a toilet paper preference and in my home I simply adjust it that way when I find it the opposite.  I have learned that in this small disagreement there is no need for any negative emotion.  It does not matter how one hangs the toilet paper.  It still serves its purpose. 

I do like to hear why one has a preference on these things.  It is in their explanation that I learn to know them better.  I am trying to learn this about all of our differences.  If they do not matter then I must be patient and learn from others.  I must see the uniqueness of the individual.  I must embrace that the why is more important than the what. 

It is in learning to not care about the minors that I can become more loving.  I can follow Christ more closely and I can create more harmony with others. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment