11 February 2009

The Birthday Gifts that Matter

Greetings Dear Readers,

Some of you know that yesterday was my birthday. It was a day filled with obligations to things that I love. There was little celebrating but by the end of the day it was one of my best birthdays ever. As I lay down last night, mind weary and bone tired, I counted all the wonderful blessings of my day.

· A friend I value dearly has reconnected with Christ
· My sons both called me and I could hear their deep love for me in the conversation
· My mom and dad called me and were both very kind
· Dozens of my friends took the time to wish me happy birthday with sincerity and love
· My daughter’s immigration hearing went well
· My daughter got me a key lime pie instead of a cake (I am going to have a piece for breakfast)
· I got to see some old friends whom I treasure dearly and they were very good to me
· I received a few gifts that were chosen by people who know me and my interests. They were perfect.

I expected my birthday to be sad and lonely this year without my beloved Avalon. 49 has always sounded older to me than 50. As I turn 49 and look toward next year and my half century mark, I realize that the very best thing about my life is that I am more available to the things that God wishes of me. I do not need the trappings of a big celebration to feel joy and contentment. Perhaps the best thing about my birthday this year was simply that I saw people caring for each other rather than focusing on trying to please me or get it right. A fictional charter I cherish once said about birthdays, “What’s so all fired special about not having died?” I think the answer is simple. If we live, truly live, we get to see others learn how to live as well. Thank you friends and family for your love.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous11/2/09 20:18

    mmm.. key lime pie, I have never had much of a taste for fruit pies, though I did have the pleasure of tasting a key liime pie once, and I can appreicate your love for them.
    A happy birthday to you!

    ReplyDelete