08 December 2009

25 Thoughts on “A Christmas Carol” – December 8th

Happy Christmas Dear Readers,

“The owner of one scant young nose, gnawed and mumbled by the hungry cold as bones are gnawed by dogs, stooped down at Scrooge's keyhole to regale him with a Christmas carol: but at the first sound of 'God bless you, merry gentleman. May nothing you dismay!' Scrooge seized the ruler with such energy of action, that the singer fled in terror, leaving the keyhole to the fog and even more congenial frost.”

I sing Christmas carols all the time as I shop, work, or putter around the house. I have often been joined in my humming a Christmas tune in the checkout line at the grocer’s. The music of the season, especially the song mentioned above floats through me like a steady stream of good humor and love for those around me.

I have, on a few occasions been scolded for singing Christmas hymns. I have heard accusations that I am “forcing my religion” on people. Mostly this comes from people who would demand that I be tolerant and accepting of views differing from mine while they condemn my views. What is it in us that causes us to resent the celebration of others? How is it that we are not satisfied with our own misery but must visit it loudly on others?

Earlier on Dickens tells us that Scrooge is “secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.” That would seem to be opposite to his insistence that those who celebrate and make merry should somehow be punished for their merriment. But do we not do the same. We hear the good feelings of others and their expressed joy and do our level best to dampen their good spirits if we do not share them. It is so easy to see our own miseries and use them to diminish the joy of others.

We could instead choose to share in the joy others feel and so for a space forget about our own troubles. I have often found that if I celebrate that which cheers another’s heart them my heart is also warm. Rejoicing in the happiness of friends helps my heart to strike a more generous fire. Perhaps that is the very thing that it is intended to do for me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8/12/09 18:26

    Loving reading these every day Aramis, you open and give new insight to thoes things we take for granted and yet know and know about every day

    ReplyDelete