25 December 2009

25 Thoughts on “A Christmas Carol” – December 25th

Happy Christmas Dear Reader

'It's Christmas Day!' said Scrooge to himself. 'I haven't missed it. The Spirits have done it all in one night. They can do anything they like. Of course they can. Of course they can.

So now we come to the turn of the tide. Mister Dickens gives us our transformed Scrooge merry and as school boy and seemingly mad as a hatter. The thing he gives us that is most prominent is that transformation to a loving giving heart can happen overnight.

We can choose to be kind to others for life by choosing to do so every moment. We cannot mend the world’s ills instantly. We cannot get rid of the work houses or make sure that no one feels like surplus population. It is not in our power to change the massive blight of need and want that rests upon the human spirit and mangles the human condition.

It is in our power to be sure that the want and need are driven back in the lives of those we touch. It is within our grasp to create a butterfly effect of compassion and kindness that sends out ripples of Christ’s love for his creation. If each of us simply determines that the spirits of Christmas past, present and future will strive within us daily we can make a difference. If do not forget the lessons of this tale we can become this instant someone who sees others as opportunities to show the love and grace of Christ.

I cannot mend all the world’s ills. I cannot comfort everyone who needs it. I can determine that I will go about with “Merry Christmas” on my lips even if I am to be boiled in my own pudding and buried with a stake of holly through my heart. I can transcend time by realizing that life is a continuous preparation for the next Advent of Christ and so be constantly preparing for the celebration of that event by living as Christ has asked me to. As we end our 25 days, I bid you my beloved readers a Merry Christmas. May Christ and the spirit of Christmas dwell in you richly.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment