22 December 2009

25 Thoughts on “A Christmas Carol” – December 22nd

Happy Christmas Dear Reader

Oh, a wonderful pudding! Bob Cratchit said, and calmly too, that he regarded it as the greatest success achieved by Mrs. Cratchit since their marriage. Mrs. Cratchit said that now the weight was off her mind, she would confess she had had her doubts about the quantity of flour. Everybody had something to say about it, but nobody said or thought it was at all a small pudding for a large family. It would have been flat heresy to do so. Any Cratchit would have blushed to hint at such a thing.

What a great quantity peace and joy can be found with this attitude of contentment. As one this family, in the midst of their relative poverty holds an attitude of gratitude for what they do have. While the wealthy miser watches the humble Cratchit family, he sees them neither complain nor wish for more than they had but rather sees them nobly adore the mother for her efforts.

It is clear that the pudding is too small. It is clear that all that they possess materially is meager. It is also clear that this family is so very rich in the things that matter. They love each other and are content to share time and good thoughts together. I have seen so many Christmas days where discontent and avarice have ruled the day. I have been guilty of it myself.

In these latter years my discontentment comes from to origins. The first and most important is the loss of time with those I love. When those I love are absent on Christmas Day, I feel it for weeks to come. The other ghost that haunts in this Christmas present is that of not being able to give all that I wish to give. It is not a matter of material wealth, though I would lavish far more upon my children and others if I could, but rather that my time has been greatly construed with weighty things this twelvemonth past and I have not attended to Christmas as is my custom.

The spirit is, however, with me and I have already begun to make amends for this. I only get 364 days to plan each year and this next year I will use them all. Remember to be thankful for what you have. Be aware of the moment in Christmas present and know that our hearts determine our joy, not the size of the pudding, the goose, or the gift.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment