02 April 2010

2010 Holy Week Friday

Greetings Dear Reader,

Today so many celebrate, leave for vacations, and end their Lenten fasting. We should celebrate, laugh, rejoice, and smile. However, there should be a corner in that smile. As Tony Campolo has clearly pointed out, “The Kingdom of God is a Party.” We often forget though, that we paid for the party with our dearest blood.

I urge you to run to Sunday and the celebration of the Resurrection but not without remembering that the feast we share was bought dearly. None of us could afford the bill but God loved us enough to be the designer of a way. I have been in a room where people I loved and trusted were about to betray me, deny me, and hand me over to judgment. I deserved it. Christ did not. I fought for my “rights.” Christ sadly allowed his friends to flee and then watch as he was tortured and beaten for their crimes against him.

I revel in Sunday. I sing at the top of my voice for the redemption purchased for me. I also know that it was MY sin that held him to the cross. It was my war against God that caused him to send his own Son as an emissary of peace whom I promptly killed. Every time I question God’s goodness I need see only what Christ did and still does for me to know that I am wrong.
I am a poor follower of Christ. I am a poor knight in service of my King and am unworthy to bear his coat of arms. None-the-less he bids me do so and I obey. I fail, I fall, I flag but he constantly lifts me up to point me toward the empty tomb and his love for me. How can I help but give him all my devotion and fealty even when I do not understand how life unfolds around me.

There is time to think as we rush toward Sunday. Please use some of it to consider what price was paid for us to shout, “Christ is risen; He is risen indeed.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment