07 April 2010

Babies and Bath Water

Greetings Dear Reader,

I went through a period of time many years ago where I did not go to church for a long time. I was disillusioned with the church and mostly with the people who attended church. I found many reasons not to go and used those who attended but did not care for Christ or his purpose as an excuse.

My eldest Son invited me to attend the church I now attend for the purpose of showing me there were still good churches and to spend time with me. Almost five years later that is the church I still attend. None of the things I see about the Church in general have changed but I realize that my abandonment was because of my own pride and self-centeredness.

I was using my high beliefs as an excuse to be lazy and disobedient to Christ. I had grand ideas about how to serve God but as I have learned over the last couple of years, they were my ideas and not Christ’s. During my sabbatical of pride I did much to hurt my family and friends. I was a poor example of the grace and kindness that Christ wishes us to show to others.

I can only imagine how often the leadership of churches that motivate their congregations to actually follow Christ are wounded by those who look at the others in the flock who need to follow and use that as an excuse to leave the church. I left myself without an accountability to someone who has a more mature walk with Christ than I did and it caused me to become narrow and self-contained.

As I saw the church overflow with those who only attend church on Resurrection Sunday, I felt that old judgment of others creeping up in my heart and mind. Yesterday I was reminded that I need to rejoice in that. Someone who is seeking a place to rest their fragile faith was also there Sunday and through their eyes the church was a place of joy and refuge. I never again wish to return to the place where I take the things of God as common or something for me to pass judgment upon.

Christ’s example was to attend the synagogue even though the Pharisees had corrupted his message and his purpose. If I am to follow Christ then I must follow his example in everything and not just the things that please me. My son led me to a place where the truth is taught and by some, even lived. This church does much to make the small world it influences a better place. Any church I attend will be imperfect just because I attend it. I cannot hypocritically be part of the whole baby and bath water process. Some good people are working to lead others to truly follow Christ. How can I not lend a hand?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/5/10 12:44

    How deep is your insite into things I'm glad you decided to go back to church and you found one so fitting. I love how you relate things to every day life. Thanks Aramis

    ReplyDelete