19 April 2010

Lingering Things - Memories

Greetings Dear Reader,

While cooking breakfast this morning it occurred to me again just how much I love my cookware. It was a birthday gift five years ago. Care and proper use has allowed it to last well. My appreciation for the gift lingers after many years. It causes me to wonder how others hold remembrances like this.

I look around the office in which I write at other things that have been gifted to me over the years. There is a small pencil and paperclip holder that was my younger son’s first gift to me that he picked out. There is a carved dragon given by a friend when she returned from Asia. Also on the shelf with the pencil holder is snail pot made by my son when he was in the first grade. That same son and his lovely wife also gave me a set of swords and a shield designed just for me.

I could go on. There are many things I use daily that were gifts from others. I remember them and the moment of the giving. I cherish the people and the connection I feel to the expressions of love shown me through the gifts. Some of the items are from people who have for one reason or another moved out of my life. Some of those memories have become bitter sweet but the love is still there.

Whether it is my Grandfather’s commentaries or my cracked dragon jar, I ponder the people and the memories when I see, use, or dust the items. It is not the material possessions that matter but the people forever connected to them in my mind. I wonder sometimes how I pass on the memories. For now I will bask in the sweetness of them and ponder a path to preserve their significance.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/5/10 12:40

    I love your I ideas on things and from the simplest chore you place christ in it abd so as it should be thanks for sharing this with us all

    ReplyDelete