22 June 2010

Wasting Time in Worry

Greetings Dear Reader,

I have been pondering much lately just how much of an energy waster worry truly is. I encountered a student about two months ago who was sitting at a computer sweating, fidgeting, and all around being completely unproductive. I asked him what was wrong and he launched into a long explanation of the goings on at his job, the cold running through his family, and the need to get all his work done.

I stepped back a moment and then asked him how worrying about all that was helping him with his labs. His response was that it was not and that he wanted to just go home. I knew that was not the answer so I pondered how I would help him. I asked him how going home was going to solve the problems and he responded it would not. I suggested that he not use his energy to worry, but rather to work toward things that would elevate his stress. I explained that worry only leaches away energy that we need to solve the problems of the moment so that we can build toward the bigger solutions.

This student stopped me in the hall yesterday. He said he had taken to heart what I said and that there was much more peace in his still very busy life. Now understand that I do not have vast stores of wisdom nor do I own any secret knowledge about life. What I have is the belief that when God tells us not to worry he does so with good reason.

How can we change or improve anything with worry? We cannot. We have no control over the events as they unfold in our lives. All we can do is work to make things better today than they were yesterday. I cannot improve my health by worrying about it. In fact studies show that my damage my health through worry. I cannot keep others safe through worry. I cannot become financially secure through worry. Worry does nothing but sap the life energy and rest I need to face the challenges of the day.

We are only able to control how we interact with the challenges of life. We choose our attitude, actions, and faith in matters of life. Worry only harms us and those who count on us to handle things well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment