29 June 2010

When I think I know

Greetings Dear Reader,

How often do I think I know something only to have one of my intelligent children, one of my students, or a friend challenge the depth or accuracy of that knowledge? I know that I know a lot. I also know that there are many things I think I know where I have only scratched the surface of the available learning.

I ponder this today in light of the often arrogant stance I take in understanding who God is. I believe. I love God and want to be his and his alone. In that exuberance I very often forget that my image of who God is, is so limited and small compared to who God actually is. A friend of mine said the other day that if God were to show his entire self to us, we could not handle it in our fallen human state. I agree completely.

We reject or question God sometimes from a perspective of knowing. God does not mind questions. He does mind our pride and arrogance when he has done so much to declare his love for us. The thing that keeps rebounding in my mind is that we do not have the right to KNOW. He promises that some day we will know, but for now he insists that we live by faith. This is so very hard but takes, well, faith.

There are a few things I know. I know God loves us. I know we lose sight of that and demand that he conform to our ways of thinking. I know that he will reveal himself to us if we keep seeking him in faith and honesty.

I wonder how often I miss out because I try to know, rather than taking a step in faith. I wonder how often I miss out on a great leap in my journey because I look for knowledge before I trust. Faith comes easier for me that others, or so I have been told. I do wonder about the really big things that seem impossible. The “what ifs” of faith dance through my mind so often.

What if as one, everyone on the Gulf of Mexico knelt and asked God to stop the oil?
What if we as a nation asked God to guide us in our economy?

Immediately people jump to the differences in belief and practice that make up the patchwork of our nation. I am not giving any set of rules in this area, as they are based on thinking we know. I know the foundational things I believe but the rest of it is up for debate. What if we left behind the debate and just started seeking the face of God with honest love and faith? What if we abandon the tethers to the constructs but not necessarily the constructs? What if we all just took a leap of faith?

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment