07 September 2010

The Filter – Part 2

Greetings Dear Reader,

It is so true about our language that we overuse, misuse, and wear out words. One of my first true posts was about the word “Christian” and how it no longer communicates. In furthering the discussion of the two great commandments being the filter of our relationship between God, Christ, and our fellow humans, I would like to explore an issue that is overused in our language.

I would like to ponder with you what it means to love God with “all your heart” and how that applies to the current world. In thinking through this I have read several definitions of “heart” both in and out of the context of this discussion. Here are a few:

1: a: Physical: a hollow muscular organ of vertebrate animals that by its rhythmic contraction acts as a force pump maintaining the circulation of the blood b: a structure in an invertebrate animal functionally analogous to the vertebrate heart c: breast, bosom d: something resembling a heart in shape; specifically: a stylized representation of a heart
2: personality, disposition
3: the emotional or moral as distinguished from the intellectual nature: as a: generous disposition: compassion
b: love, affection c : courage, ardor
4: one's innermost character, feelings, or inclinations

5: the central or innermost part: center b: the essential or most vital part of something

It seems after reading, pondering, and palavering over the issue that it must be all of them. Since my body belongs to God, the physical heart must be devoted to him in using the life he gives me for serving my fellow man. My personality must be warm, kind, tenderhearted towards God and man. My emotions and morals must respond in loving God through the expression of my feelings by a generous disposition, compassion, love, affection, courage, and ardor. My innermost character, feelings, and inclinations must be to love God and man above all other motivations and feelings. My central and innermost being, my very vitality must be bent to this cause and by extension, permeate every other cause to which I give my life.

The implications of this are quite far reaching. If I love God with all my heart as commanded, there remains no room for me to hold any negative or violent feelings toward anyone else. From this will precede an inability to see anyone else in less than a favorable light. I may condemn inappropriate actions but never condemn individuals. The very core of all that I am must be compassionate, courageous, and generous. Every physical heartbeat of my life must echo a reverberation of love toward God and all those he has given life.
Further, anything that involves the heart becomes a non-secular issue. How I feel about anyone or anything becomes an extension of how I relate to God. How I feel about healthcare, poverty, my irritating co-worker, or that undesirable relative is all irrevocably connected to my profession that I love God. The very essence of my emotional responses must be slaved to the heart of God and how he responds to things.

Obviously we cannot do this outside of the grace and providence of God. We must gain a foothold somewhere in this thin aired ascent toward feeling about others as God feels about them. Perhaps that is why we must also involve the soul and mind. For today, however, I will continue to ponder all I have to do just to manage the heart. I must filter everything through this command to love God with all my heart and, therefore, all humans as well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment