15 September 2010

Pondering Pythagoras

Greetings Dear Reader,

“There is geometry in the humming of the strings; there is music in the spacing of the spheres.” – Pythagoras

A favorite musician of mine, Kemper Crabb, penned these lines that I carry in my head; “All creation moves in a cosmic dance, before the Lord her King. The rhythm, the reason the rhyme of the dance poses within everything.” As the seasons turn from summer to autumn I have been watching the dance as I travel through my day.

The morning quality of sunlight has changed. A single sugar maple, proudly set on a high hill has raced ahead of its siblings to clothe itself in rich crimson and ginger. The squirrels in the yard seem rushed in their efforts to gather literally all the acorns beneath the oak tree. The willow is slowly turning golden though on its shady side the rich verdant leaves still off reminders of the fading summer.

The night sky is clearer as this summer’s unusual humidity has dwindled. Glimpses of Orion are more common early as he makes his imminent arrival known. Orion’s arrival is glorious to me this year. He is already bright and beautiful. I stopped last night to ponder the steady movement of our course through the cosmos. Each spin and circuit appointed and proven over the millennia speaks to the “perfect seven step time” of the universe.

I noticed a large group of butterflies over the weekend and watches as they danced among the trees and grass gathering nectar from the dwindling supply of flowers. Then as one they lifted to the breeze and ascended toward the south. I do not know their destination or the silent call that caused them to take flight in unison, but the amazing geometry of it is not lost on me.

In the patterns of the stars, the rustle and fire of the leaves, and the single minded flight of butterflies, I hear the gentle whisper that calls to me. I hear the voice of God pointing to all that he has done and reminding me that it is there so that he can get my attention. He wishes me to see it all and through it, see him.

His passion is for me and all of the geometry and physics is there to show me that there is a design. There is a design for the universe, our world, and my life. To trace the pattern I need only follow his Son. To join in the dance I need only waltz the geometry uniquely drawn out for me. The piper calls and I must simply follow and all will be well.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 - So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store.”

No comments:

Post a Comment