27 September 2010

Not Supposed to be the Cause

Greetings Dear Reader,

“When the kingdom comes with its perfected sons, He’ll be known by the scars.” - Michael Card

I think I may have the best dentist in the world. His name is Fred. He never hurts me. Always listens to me. He treats others with respect and is good to his staff. I have been going to him for over a decade and I am healthier for it.

Since childhood and some serious verbal abuse by a dentist at a dental clinic, I have had a deep fear of dentists. This dental student used to growl into the ear of my six year old self that if I wiggled too much he would throw me out a window. On one of my first visits, Fred saw my fear. He assured me that he would not hurt me and used every means at his disposal to do just that. He explained, “I am supposed to heal, not cause pain.”

Is that not the heart of what I am supposed to be as a Christ follower? As I mentioned some time ago, one of the people I love most in the world told me that they could trace the most painful moments in their life to me. This haunts me daily. If what I am doing for myself damages and hurts others then I must lay it aside. If what I think and say causes harm then I am not following Christ. Only through consistently seeking the benefit of others can I draw closer to Christ as I follow him.

We are to diminish pain, not cause it. It is my responsibility to consistently be in the midst of those in pain without being the cause of their pain. My destiny is to heal, help, and love. What do I really lose if I give without expecting return? I lose nothing. What are the benefits of seeking to love others unconditionally? They are limitless. This week I am identifying specific things I need to do to live this truth. It is scary, scaring, and daunting. It is impossible for me to do on my own strength. I must screw my courage and my faith to the sticking place and abandon myself. “Take up your cross and follow me,” seems very raw and real today.

Someone I love has been pressed so far in this area. He has spent years giving of his time, love, and resources to a circle of friends and those friends consistently respond indifferently. I see his pain and know that he loves them and needs them to grow, learn, and become from time he has invested in them. I would say to him as I am saying to myself the words of my dear friend Ian Anderson. “And it’s only the giving that makes us what we are.”

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment