14 May 2011

Choice Cordials

Greetings Dear Reader,

I believe in fires at midnight
When the dogs have all been fed
Golden toddy on the mantle
Broken gun beneath the bed – Ian Anderson

Of all the ways in which I can enjoy an adult beverage my favorite is a small glass of a good liqueur or cordial. I have several choice ones that I keep on hand. Peach schnapps is the most common and I truly enjoy Irish Mist®, Drambuie®, and my very favorite Grand Marnier®. I have a 150 year old bottle of the latter put away for the day when I can assure all around me that my living comes from my writing and no other source.

I share these choice cordials with friends and family in special moments. I drink them slowly and enjoy every sip. This love of fine potent potables has caused me to look into the history of cordials. It is interesting that they began as a medicinal concoction. Cordials were used to either carry foul tasting medicines or were the medicine. Soon the cordial without the medicine became desirable and the very rich adopted them as a repast.

It soon became clear that most fruits could be fermented into a liqueur, brandy, or used as a cordial. Herbs, woods, nuts, and botanicals are used to achieve the desired flavors and marry the bouquets into just the right taste and smell. For example Grand Marnier is made from choice oak-aged cognac infused with tropical oranges.

What strikes me about this is that I yearn for the quiet taste of this fine liqueur when I am the most stressed. Just an ounce in a small brandy glass does so much to settle my mind and focus my thinking. Sometimes I warm it over a candle flame to drive away a damp chill.

It occurred to me the other day whilst reading Streams in the Desert what a beautiful provision these moments are from Christ. I know that many think that all use of alcohol is wrong, but the Bible is quite clear that only drunkenness is wrong. In at least one case God tells us that strong drink is appropriate for celebration.

Late Tuesday night, feeling both tired from work and emotionally spent from other duties of the day, I sat quietly in the dark with a single amber ounce of warm Grand Marnier. For me the moment when the warm liqueur touches my tongue is a moment of gratitude. The sweet strong orange flavor and it oaky under current remind me that every day spent walking with Christ has a sweet rich beauty.

My broken heart and unrealized dreams fade into a moment of clarity. In that moment I am reassured that no matter the burden or boundary I am not alone and I only need carry as much as I can endure. All that I need to move forward with Christ will be provided.

God keeps his choicest cordials for our deepest fainting. – Charles Cowman

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." - ATT

No comments:

Post a Comment