31 May 2011

Politics and Charity

Greetings Dear Reader,

I indulged in one of my favorite charity events this weekend. It is our community’s annual Bratwurst Festival. It last from Friday morning until Monday evening over Memorial Day weekend. Thousands of people attend for the carnival, the free music on four different stages, and the amazing brats.

Last year the festival set a record by selling over 202,000 brats. This year the mark was just over 150,000. We did have a rainy day on Saturday and I am sure that accounted for part of the issue. What I am also sure is that some of the people in my community impacted sales because they chose to object to a vendor that donates to the event.
We have had some political stir over our current governor and many are people are unhappy with him. Some of these individuals learned that the company that donates ALL of the brats for Brat Fest also contributed to the campaign of said governor. In their minds it was the festival that should be boycotted because of this.

Now I understand the objections that are held against the governor’s actions. I even agree with some of the things his opponents say. I also think it is very poor form to involve a festival that exists solely for the purpose of charity and is not connected to the governor’s issues. It seems that to attack a charity driven event because of past campaign contributions by a vendor is at best illogical.

It saddens me that these charities suffered in what they will receive because people decided to lay the past actions of the corporation that donates all the brats at the door of the festival. The one time it seems that we could all lay aside our politics is Memorial Day weekend at a celebration that benefits local charities. To me, the actions of those who boycotted this event weaken their credibility in my eyes.

Brat fest was great fun and the brats were delicious. I heard some great music and found a new artist to enjoy. I am already looking forward to next year.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment