12 June 2011

Blankets in June

Greetings Dear Reader,

As I write this the temperature is a pleasant 46 degrees.  I realize that to most of you this is not a pleasant June temperature.  I happen to love it.  It does make me ponder how this negatively impacts businesses that count on warm summer temperatures for success. 

I wonder how often my enjoyment of things is at another’s expense.  It is not wrong for me to enjoy the weather but I know that I have family members who are huddling under blankets.  I even wore a jacket the last couple of mornings. 

The situation does require that I consider all of my attitudes surrounding it.  How often do I fail to consider others in my enjoyment of things?  Is it is not my obligation to consider others in my reveling as to how it will impact them.  This week has seen a sixty degree swing in temperature.  That should cover everything but ice fishing.  It still reminds me what a cold spring it has been. 

There are places in the state that depend on a warm summer for income and surviving the winter.  Family vacations are much different if the water is too cold for swimming.  This does not even consider the many lives that have been devastated by the tornadoes and flooding across the country. 

There is nothing wrong with enjoying the extended cool temperatures that God has provided.  I must, however, be aware of the needs of others in my enjoyment.  I must be more thankful for what God gives and never forget that others suffer a great deal.  It is not because I have joy that others suffer, but my joy must be complete because it is firmly set in the realization of just how blessed I am.  I am off to church and will complete this during the evening.

What a wonderful day it has been.  I am very blessed.  I have a family that I cherish dearly.  I get to spend time with my children almost weekly.  I have all that I need for home and sustenance.  I even have a job that I love.  Today I was able to actually help someone; three someones actually. 

Is there anything that would have been different had the weather been colder or warmer?  Perhaps, but still at the heart of it is the privilege of being good to and assisting others along the journey.  It is truly being aware of how I see the needs of others and respond to them.  The joy over the weather is nothing compared to the joy of seeing in someone else’s eyes that you understand the need and are willing to help.

In his distressing disguise
He waits for us to surmise
That when we take care of the poorest of them
We’ve really done it to him.   – Michael Card

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment