22 June 2011

Not Dependent on Me

Greetings Dear Reader,

Yesterday I listened as a young man went on and on about how illogical and childish it is to believe in the existence of God.  His tone and body language told me that this was a position of intellectual pride more than an internalized belief.   He did make me think about something with his statements.

I think that one of the places where I am totally blind at times is that God neither needs nor requires my approval to be God.  My eldest Son put it well the other day when he referenced things people fabricate to show that God is there.  It caused me to think about just how often I delude myself that I am doing something for God.

God does not need me.  He does not gain his power to create by my acknowledgment of creation.  The beauty of the world and the universe are there so that I am drawn to God and his magnificence.  I do not get to decide how he did things.  Actually when it comes down to following Christ how God did it all does not really matter.

He also does not gain sovereignty because I assign it to him.  God is sovereign because he is God.  It is my role to accept this and trust because of it.  Every time I assert myself over things that are just, loving, and good I question this and overrule God.  This is always an endeavor in foolishness.

When it comes down to proving that God exists the discussion seems so simple.  It does not matter what I prove because God exists whether I believe in him or not.  People far wiser and more learned than me have gone to great lengths to make the existence of God a reasonable thing.  That does not matter because God demands that we acknowledge him through faith.  I must prove him through belief and following out of that belief. 

The things that matter when it comes to God are acts of faith.  I cannot do anything for him but he allows me to do things for others that reveal him.  That is enough evidence for me.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store." 

No comments:

Post a Comment