06 December 2016

The Road to Bethlehem – What Does God Want for Christmas

Merry Christmas Dear Reader,

There are so many paths one could take to answer this question.  I am not a fan of country music but when I came across a song by Darius Rucker that asks this question I was instantly captivated.  The rich style of this song causes me to ponder seriously what God may want from us as a gift.

As we travel the road to Bethlehem we perhaps find ourselves in the place of the Magi instead of the family.  We have chosen what we carry and wonder what is the best gift for the King.  We do not know everything we need to know but we are following just the same.

Or sometimes we forget to think about whose day it is we celebrate and worry about other things more.  Perhaps we have lost our faith and we celebrate the day out of tradition or pressure.  Perhaps we reject the day altogether out of scorn for those who follow Christ poorly.

So, we still have the question.  What does God want for Christmas?  He wants what he said he wants.  He wants to gather us.  He wants to seek and save.  He wants us to be drawn to him.  He want our hearts.


Old man playing Santa Claus
Blue in a town with old Jack Frost
Now he's handing out candy canes and smiles for free
People scoring with their lists
Rushing around to buy those gifts that will
End up wrapped up underneath the tree
I'm sitting at this red light looking at a manger scene
Watching snowflakes kiss that baby
And it makes me think

I wonder what God wants for Christmas
Something that you can't find in a store
Maybe peace on Earth, no more empty seats in church
Might be what's on His wish list
I wonder what God wants for Christmas

What do you give someone
Who give His only Son
What if we believe in Him
Like He believes in us

I wonder what God wants for Christmas
What might put a smile on His face
Every bubble with no dust, the devil given up
Might be what's on His wish list

I wonder what God wants for Christmas
What kind of gift from you and me
More sister, more brother, more lovin' one another
Yean I wonder, I wonder what God wants
By now we oughta know what God wants for Christmas

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment