31 July 2011

The Prayer of Saint Francis

Greetings Dear Reader,

I woke up this morning with the song version of this prayer in my head.  It has been dancing through my mind most of the last few days.  That is not a surprise as songs do that to me.  Once in a while a piece of music will latch on to my brain and set itself on single repeat.  The song sends itself into the deep recesses of my mind searching for a connection.  It does not stop burrowing until it finds that connection.  This can take days and once it took two months.

This one has just begun its work and the burrowing will be deep.  There are so many layers to the truths in this song that I am sure it has much to move aside to find its place in me.  These words are the essence of what Christ calls us to be if we are to follow him.  Where I can I must be the words of this prayer.  There is no compartmentalization.  I must see everyone through this same lens no matter how I feel about the person or his beliefs. 

I am going to dive deeply into this for a few days and you are welcome to join me.  Following Christ has nothing to do with the label or location of your practice.  It has to do with what you do.  It is not about your past or where you came from it is about what you are becoming.  The journey is about following and in following I must be willing to walk where I am led.  I am not sure where this part of the path is about to take me but I have confidence in this fragment of the map.  There is no question that the path I walk is better if I apply the words of this prayer.

Join me if you wish as I dive into this but I would give fair warning.  Those who seek to become these things rarely do so without considerable pain and sacrifice.  It will make the journey sweeter but not without bitter moments.  Still I would be grateful for your interaction along the way.  It is always nice to have someone to talk with on the road.  

Lord, make me an instrument of your peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love.
Where there is injury, pardon.
Where there is doubt, faith.
Where there is despair, hope.
Where there is darkness, light.
Where there is sadness, joy.
O Divine Master,
Grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled, as to console;
To be understood, as to understand;
To be loved, as to love.
For it is in giving that we receive.
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned,
And it is in dying that we are born to Eternal Life. – Saint Francis of Assisi

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment