10 July 2011

Peaches and Pratchett

Greetings Dear Reader,

Today promises to be both warm and humid.  I have just completed my morning bike ride and am dashing off my blog before going out for the day.  The reward for my bike ride and faithfulness to my health sits before me.  I came in warm and lathered having extended my distance by half.  After downing a full glass of water I set to preparing my reward.  As I write this I am eating two perfectly ripened Georgia Peaches.  They are amazing.  Later this weekend I will make some homemade peach preserves to give as gifts this Christmas.  All of this is possible because of a gift from God.  The peach is unique in its beauty.  I cannot understand those who do not like them.  Georgia peaches are the pinnacle of the fruit and I savor every bite of every one of them.  They are an excellent motivation for bike riding.

I also got to meet Terry Pratchett this weekend.  He is an author of fantasy fiction that is more lampoon than adventure.  He is also one of my favorite authors.  His health is failing and he deemed to attend a local convention this weekend where he is chatting and signing autographs.  My beloved eldest Son bought me a ticket to see him as a Father’s day gift.  In my ninety seconds of conversation with the man I knew that I could do only one thing.  I thanked him.  I thanked him for the hours of entertainment, laughter, and for sharing himself with the world.  He looked up made eye contact with me and smiled.

This is a beautiful thing that my weekend includes both peaches and Terry Pratchett.  My heart is moved to gratitude and joy over these things.  They are sweet moments in life that I cherish.  There is no profound theology here.  It is only that I love being able to thank an author I admire and the taste of a cold Georgia peach after a hot humid bike ride are beautiful to me.

I am thankful to God for these things.  The peach is a regularly repeating miracle to me.  Authors are an example of how gifts us with richness that we cannot imagine.  I eat the peaches, washed, quartered, and in a white milk glass bowl that looks like a scallop shell.  Every taste is one of beauty.  I am overwhelmed by the gift from God that these moments hold.  Now I must be on to other things.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment