26 July 2011

What do I value more than God?

Greetings Dear Reader,

If you ask me this question my response would be “nothing.”  If I honestly examine my life there are times when I love many things more than God.  For a long time I sure loved food more and overate to the point that it damaged me for life.  There are times when I have loved control more than God. Over the course of my life I have put many things in front of my fealty to God.

Day to day things are a challenge as well.  When something does not go my way I quickly sell out my commitment to Christ to indulge my own wants and wishes.  I will readily value my pride or anger over God in the moment.  I forget who I am following and chase after things that will harm me instead.

The key again seems to be moment by moment course corrections.  Constantly reassessing what matters most in the moment is vital to remembering what I value.  Do I value Christ more than venting at the guy who cut me off in traffic?  Do I value Christ more than sex, the next drink, sleep, sports, or my own agenda?  Is what I am choosing today going to matter when I move on to what is next?

This is the twilight zone part of the journey.  Things here only gain significance as they relate to what is next.  I am determined to value the things that matter. 

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment:

  1. This is a question we don't really want to deal with in our own lives. It is a question that really challenges who we really are down deep in our soul.

    ReplyDelete