04 July 2011

Independence Day and Polar Bears

Greetings Dear Reader,

I realize that one rarely ponders polar bears and Independence Day in the same moment.  Saturday evening I was doing just that.  It was a wonderful time.  I was with my Children and my Grandson.   We gathered to watch our community fireworks from their porch.  It was a warm and beautiful evening.

My eldest Son prepared kabobs for me with scallops.  These were cooked on the grill and delicious.  We also had chicken kabobs and homemade macaroni and cheese.  As an offhand remark my Son mentioned that we should have some Polar Bears.  Christmas ran to the store for the proper ingredients and I gladly blended the drinks.

It was a simple thing but it struck me how easy it was to cause others to smile with it.  We had a quiet and enjoyable evening as a family.  I has snatches of quality conversation with each of my Sons and with my Daughter-in-law.  I got to make my Grandson smile.  

It was a simple day with simple pleasure under the banner of freedom.  I think what has my mind turning is the vastness of our independence.  We come and go as we please.  We don’t worry about things blowing up or getting shot on the street.  We make Polar Bears in the blender and watch the fireworks from out back porch.  I think that I just feel a calm gratitude and joy that I get to live in such a world. 

I am thankful to God.  He allowed me this.  He decided I would be born here and not in some other place with less freedom and more violence.  I am just greatful.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment