20 January 2009

An Ancient Adoration

Greetings Dear Readers,

When was the last time you had a quiet drive, ride, or walk in the country. There is something about the quality of the world in Spring or Fall that makes me love travel. I remember one year Avalon and I were traveling to her parents for Resurrection Sunday and she was overcome by the beauty of the many greens in the world. I remember that moment fondly every year near Resurrection Sunday.

When I was very young my Grandfather used to take me fishing often. The long walk from the car to his favorite fishing spot was on a trail lined with Oak and Pecan trees. We would enjoy the shade of those trees in Summer, revel at their beauty and new leaves in spring, and gather the pecans for pie in Autumn. My Grandfather always took time to thank God out loud for the beauty of that place. Often as we walked he would sing an ancient hymn and encourage me to join in.

The hymn, known as The Crusader’s Hymn is at least 500 years old and may be as much as 900 years old. Imagine being on a horse and riding into the wild world from the safety of your home. You see the grandeur of creation with little of man’s corruption of it imposing upon your view. Your sadness is strong and leaving behind hearth and kin, but you see world cloaked in the new life of Spring. When you camp at night there is no light pollution to block out the vast sea of stars above you. But best of all, you know that all of this is yours because it is God’s gift to you through his beloved Son.

I will not argue that most things revolving around the Crusades are dark and ugly. Out of that ugliness, however, arises this song, sung by knights are their way to Jerusalem, by my Grandfather on the way to his favorite fishing hole, and by me when my heart is heavy. Perhaps you too can sing these words and find comfort in them.

The Crusader’s Hymn

Fairest Lord Jesus, Ruler of all nature,
O Thou of God and man the Son,
Thee will I cherish, Thee will I honor,
Thou, my soul’s glory, joy and crown.

Fair are the meadows, fairer still the woodlands,
Robed in the blooming garb of spring;
Jesus is fairer, Jesus is purer,
Who makes the woeful heart to sing.

Fair is the sunshine, fairer still the moonlight,
And all the twinkling starry host;
Jesus shines brighter, Jesus shines purer
Than all the angels heaven can boast.

All fairest beauty, heavenly and earthly,
Wondrously, Jesus, is found in Thee;
None can be nearer, fairer or dearer,
Than Thou, my Savior, art to me.

Beautiful Savior! Lord of all the nations!
Son of God and Son of Man!
Glory and honor, praise, adoration,
Now and forever more be Thine.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous23/1/09 20:44

    God doesn't give you the people you want, He gives you the people you NEED - To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you into the person you were meant to be.

    Dear God: Aramis Thron is beautiful and strong, and I love them. Help him live life to the fullest. Please promote Him in Your works and cause him to excel above expectations. Help him shine in the darkest places where it is impossible to love. Protect him please at all times, lift him up when he need you the most, and let him know when they walk with you, he will always be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23/1/09 21:23

    “When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps.”

    let Christ move you in your steps and trust Him ...
    You have the potentional to reach so high Aramis ... let Christ show you the way and to step over the faults of others ... You are never over looked by Christ

    nor by me

    ReplyDelete