22 January 2009

An Ancient Love

Greetings Dear Readers,

Who do you love? What do you love about them? What cost are you willing to bear to show that love? Imagine being one of 19 children. Imagine trying to stand out among those siblings as the next to the youngest. Charles Wesley was such a man and proved over and over his love for Christ in the hymns he wrote. Penning over 6000 hymns in his life, he constantly pointed men toward the greatness, majesty, power, and love of God.

What is we really wish. Charles Wesley spent his life attempting to help us see who God is and his great overreaching love for us. You see he chose us. He decided that he would rather die than live without us. He gave all for us and continues to do so. We treat the love God pours on us with everything from awe to contempt.

I am in an odd stage of life. I never expected to be alone and in so much pain. Many of my past failings have come home to roost. I am reaping the cost of old sins and striving hard to avoid new ones. I know that I have done some good in my life, but not enough to properly reflect the love so graciously poured out on me by Christ. I am realizing that nothing matters but the love of Christ and his constant plea for us to hear him. My son Maxim pointed out that we read John 3:16 but not 3:17 as often as we should. We are the responsible for showing the world that Christ came to bring us hope and to redeem us from our own failings. As I consider the years past, realizing that I am in the place where I probably have more days behind me than ahead of me, I echo the thoughts of Charles Wesley in his grand request concerning the one love that transcends time and all of eternity.

Jesus Lover of my Soul

Jesus, lover of my soul, Let me to Thy bosom fly,While the nearer waters roll, While the tempest still is high!
Hide me, O my Saviour, hide, Till the storm of life be past;Safe into the haven guide, Oh, receive my soul at last!

Other refuge have I none, Hangs my helpless soul on Thee;Leave, ah! leave me not alone, Still support and comfort me!
All my trust on Thee is stayed, All my help from Thee I bring;Cover my defenseless head With the shadow of Thy wing.

Wilt Thou not regard my call? Wilt Thou not accept my prayer?Lo! I sink, I faint, I fall— Lo! on Thee I cast my care:
Reach me out Thy gracious hand! While I of Thy strength receive,Hoping against hope I stand, Dying, and, behold, I live!

Thou, O Christ, art all I want; More than all in Thee I find:Raise the fallen, cheer the faint, Heal the sick, and lead the blind.
Just and holy is Thy name; I am all unrighteousness:False and full of sin I am; Thou art full of truth and grace.

Plenteous grace with Thee is found, Grace to cover all my sin;Let the healing streams abound, Make and keep me pure within.Thou of life the fountain art. Freely let me take of Thee:Spring Thou up within my heart, Rise to all eternity!

I know that Jesus loves my soul and will see it safe into his presence. Until then I hope that I can find ways to visibly return a measure of that love in following, serving, and loving others as he does.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous23/1/09 21:40

    You sheltered me from harm.
    You kept me warm
    You kept me warm
    And you gave my life to me
    You set me free,
    You set me free
    The finest years I ever knew
    Were all the years I had with you

    I would give everything I own,
    I'd give up my life, my heart, my home.
    And I would give everything I own,
    Just to have you back again.

    You taught me how to laugh,
    What a time
    What a time
    You never said too much,
    But still you showed you cared,
    And I knew from watching you.

    And nobody else could ever know
    The part of me that can't let go.

    I would give everything I own,
    I'd give up my life, my heart, my home.
    And I would give everything I own,
    Just to have you back again.
    You know baby, my love for you will
    always stay true. That's right. 'Cause
    there is no me without you. (And I would give everything)
    Everything I own Nobody can love you, love you
    Love you, love you like I do

    I would give everything I own,
    I'd give up my life, my heart, my home.
    And I would give everything I own......

    "Everything I Own"

    though words from this are missing, this is how I feel about you and what I would do for you .. and though I know you have not left me, nor ever will Aramis I want you to know that you mean something to ALOT of people....

    wheather or not you believe or remember or see

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous23/1/09 21:42

    “Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.”

    ReplyDelete