02 March 2009

Classic Letters

Greetings Dear Readers,

Recently someone I love told me his honest feelings about the digital age. He mentioned that the fading art of letter writing is important to him. He went on to say that when communicating with others we should take the time occasionally to pick out a card or write a letter. I think that he is right.

When Avalon and I were first together we communicated through letters. I still have them and recently reread them. Letters have a sustain power in them. They capture moments in time where thoughts and feelings may be expressed. One is able to think through what they would say and characterize it so that the small nuances are expressed. One is also able to be very cryptic and require others to read between the lines. I have poured over some letters long after getting them in order to reason out the thoughts behind some words.

We track history through letters. They are kept in boxes, framed, and are sold with estates. They have great value to understanding the thoughts and feelings of those now part of the past. One expresses a level of trust when they write a letter that its contents will be shared or not shared judiciously.

Email and IM’s are quick and efficient but lack something. Once one has an internet connection and email client communication is easy. Email can be traced to be sure it is received. It can also be intercepted and read by unwanted eyes. Letters are much more personal.

This does not mean that the transition to the digital age is not vital. It does not mean that the emerging generations must remain locked into to paper world. It does mean that some art forms have value as they are and should not be completely abandoned.

I love getting letters and have decided to write them more often. If you get one, I hope you write back.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous2/3/09 19:45

    A letter is a lovely, and I always seem to have a great desire to send letters though never have I to find the time to write them ...
    though it is no excuse I aggree with you, i preffer the quick and easy way of IM or e-mail ...
    I believe that every one should make time to write a letter and send it.
    I have found accross my journeys people including me enjoy the rush of getting mail, though we are normally disapointed to find that all we have recieved are bills and junk mail. This is sad when we await for the post every day and all we get is a negitive conentation. Send some one a letter and smile knoing that this day they went to their mail box and recieved someting more.

    OK Aramis, so I got a little side tracked but my point is that I aggree, and so I will await for something more in my mail box as I will bless some one with a letter of mine.

    warm winds Aramis and again thank you for your helpfull insite.

    ReplyDelete