30 April 2009

Vegemite

Greetings Dear Readers,

As some of you know I have recently influenced by an infusion of Australian culture into my life. One of the things that had fascinated me for years is Vegemite®. For those who do not know what it is, Vegemite® is a savory yeast spread produced by Kraft Foods. I had tried it years ago on a cracker. Apparently this is an error. It tasted salty, strong, and yeasty but I kind of liked it. I did not like it enough to consume it daily as many Australians do but I liked it.

I would bring up the subject from time to time with friends and most have a hesitant to outright disgust reaction to it. Until recently my interaction with true Australians was limited as was my knowledge of the way in which they do things. We put spreads on a cracker. They mostly do not and they call crackers biscuits. What we call biscuits they do not really have and for the record what we call cookies they call biscuits as well. I digress.

Currently there is a rumor that the US FDA has restricted the transport of Vegemite into the US. According to SNOPES (http://www.snopes.com/food/warnings/vegemite.asp) this is not true. While retailers are having trouble getting it, private persons may bring it in freely. Imagine the reaction of the Australian resident of my home when she thought that she could not get vegemite. I promptly bought a 2.5kg tub of it. I will say that her mental stability was at least challenged. I made the error of suggesting Marmite®, another yeast extract product that except for ingredients, taste, and texture is in no way similar to Vegemite®. If I disappear mysteriously it would be because said Aussie Chic has done away with me for mentioning Marmite® and Vegemite® in the same sentence. Oh dear I just did it again. I am probably doomed.

There is another thing that I researched that is just plain bollix. Apparently someone did a mockup of Vegemite Toast Crunch as a cereal. The idea is absurd and it seems that the idea is a spoof of Cinnamon Toast Crunch®. The thing is that I cannot imagine liking it and even the picture looks unappetizing.

I guess I digressed again. You see there is a proper way to eat Vegemite®. You put it on toast that has been properly saturated with margarine. Note that I said margarine not butter. I was clearly instructed that the difference is important. When I had my first slice of properly prepared Vegemite® toast I was hooked. It is excellent and addictive. The song is catchy. It tastes good. It also is rich in vitamin D. It is true that Vegemite is a polarizing agent. People either love it or hate it. One can also make Vegemite sandwiches. This is more like two slices of Vegemite® toast but the bread is not toasted. If you can find it, I urge you to try it. After all….

We're happy little Vegemites
As bright as bright can be.
We all enjoy our Vegemite
For breakfast, lunch, and tea.
Our mother says we're growing
stronger every single week.
Because we love our Vegemite.
We all adore our Vegemite.
It puts a rose in every cheek!

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous30/4/09 13:47

    We're happy little Vegemites
    As bright as bright can be.
    We all enjoy our Vegemite
    For breakfast, lunch, and tea.
    Our mother says we're growing
    stronger every single week.
    Because we love our Vegemite.
    We all adore our Vegemite.
    It puts a rose in every cheek!

    You did a whole section on Vegemite ... you are not that doomed, but bloody oath if you do it again ... that is mentioning Vegemite and it's discusting rival in the same sentance... who knows what will happen to you Aramis!

    mmm that Vegemite toast does look good, well I am gonna cut this short and go get me some...

    ReplyDelete