05 May 2009

Names for Animals


Greetings Dear Readers,

I saw someone the other day walking their four pets on leashes. They were ferrets. The human spent the bulk of their time untangling the four leads. The ferrets were not walking as much as it was a mobile wrestling match. I chatted with the human for a moment and as we talked I asked what a group of ferrets were called. She did not know and neither did I. I promised to find the answer and here it is. A group of ferrets may be called a business, a cast, a fesnying, or my favorite and the most accurate a frenzy of ferrets. My search for the name led me to a listing of venery for animals or collective nouns. Some are humorous and some are just strange.

A collection of apes is a shrewdness of apes. I would never associate shrewd with apes, but I do not wish to offend them either. Baboons insist on their own venery but cannot decide if they wish to be tribe, flange, or congress. This sounds very political to me. Badgers collect in a cete. This is the only use of this word and they defend it viciously. I would think they should be a pester of badgers. Bears hibernate in sleuths, but I rarely see them investigating anything other than bee hives. Beavers collect in a lodge and it is rumored that they have a secret handshake.

There are many differing names for birds: they collect in a congregation, dissimulation flight, flock, or volery. Bitterns, a type of heron live in sieges. Boars travel in a singular which seems at least to be oxymoronic. Bobolinks walk in a chain, and if you have ever seen it the moniker makes sense. Buzzards fly in a wake, which is also what we do for the dead; ironic considering that crows come in a murder, hawks in a kettle, and hummingbirds in a charm. Jays come in both a band and a party. Nightingales come in a watch, penguins a parcel, and peacocks an ostentation. Owls are wise enough to gather in a parliament while rooks form in a storytelling (too bad they all talk at once). Lapwings come in a deceit, so they say.

Camels come in a flock which makes me glad they do not fly. Since many camels live in Australia I thought I would investigate other Australian animal grouping. Kangaroos hop in a troop, wallabies and emus travel in a mob, wombats are in a warren, lorikeets in a pandemonium, and Great White sharks are in a shiver. Platypus and Koala do not congregate hence there is not a collective for them. When the rare and dangerous Drop bears gather they do so in a surprise or a shock.

All in all the names are intriguing. I will revisit this later as there are hundreds more. For now, think about your favorite animal. I do not know how they group but it could be very fun to find out.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment