16 November 2009

Broken but not Defeated

Greetings Dear Readers,

How often do we give up when things look grim? We imagine the worst outcomes and react to them instead of seeing the possibilities. Last Saturday, my daughter Christmas and I were driving home when we saw a hawk in the middle of the road eating a squirrel it had taken. It refused to move from its prey even in the face of cars zooming by on both sides.

Thinking this behavior unusual we turned around to see what the hawk would do. As we approached again, the large bird moved from the center of the road to the side. We pulled over and watched. The creature was injured. Its leg was broken. It waited on the curb, gathering its strength. Then as we moved closer it spread its wings and moved to the tree beside the road.

Two things were clear. The bird was obviously hurt and it was determined to go on. We captured several pictures of the bird and I was amazed at its tenacity in the face of moral danger. Though injured, the hawk was not leaving without its dinner.

So often I have faced things with this ferocity; determined to hang on to the wrong things. In the end I knew that the hawk was safe and it was obvious that though injured it could manage. I am not sure whether it is better to hang on or let go in some situations. Ultimately the choice becomes right or wrong by only one measure: Have I followed Christ in my choice?

If I let go of something to follow Christ then it was meant that I should let go. If I hang on because I am waiting on Christ then it was meant that I should hang on and wait. What matters is becoming so used to following Christ that I do not think about hanging on or letting go, I think about following Christ.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment