04 October 2011

Singing My Way to Georgia


Greetings Dear Reader,

Several years ago I had the privilege of driving my younger Son, Bezel to Georgia from Wisconsin.  We were ferrying home the car we had purchased for his use.  It was the only time we have such a journey alone and there are many memories of it that I treasure.

One of the things that made if so memorable was that at the time the car had no radio.  We started the journey early and my Son slept for the first bit of it.  We stopped for breakfast and then both fully awake talked for a bit.  As the conversation ran itself out Bezel asked me about an old song.  I immediately began to sing it for him. 

That simple response led to other songs.  Each song reminded me of another that I thought my Son would enjoy but may not know.  About ten hours later we arrived in Georgia and I barely had a voice.  We had sung our way there.  I love my Son deeply and this memory is beautiful and sweet because he is part of it.

Bezel commented some time later about how vast my knowledge of music was.  I assure you it has waned since.  I just cannot keep up.  The incident did, however, conjure a parallel in my mind.  It is easy for me to turn my mind to music in almost every situation.  I wonder then how I can assure that I can hone that into doing what I am supposed to do in every situation.

I am supposed to pray without ceasing.  This does not mean that I am required to be always prostrating myself and reciting programmed prayers.  It does mean that in the same way that music is always winding its way through my mind I should be in constant conversation with God.

I achieve this some days.  I wish I could be this way always.  I see how deeply it impacts my attitudes and outlook.  I am kinder, gentler, more loving and more understanding when I achieve days of constant conversation.  This is how I always wish to be for others and for my own peace of mind. 

The journey is long and the path can be difficult.  Some days it is joy and peaches.  As I begin to deepen my thinking on how I am not in control of anything I need to be in constant conversation with the one who is.  If I can sing my way to Georgia I can surely learn to pray my way down the path.  I can surely learn to have constant conversation with the one who is the author and finisher of the journey.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment