03 October 2011

Clouds of Faith


Greetings Dear Reader,

Many of you know that after writing my other avocation is in the technology world.  I teach information technology at the college level.  As a writer most of my writing occurs on a computer.  Very little of my writing outside of my published novels gets printed on paper.  Does this mean my writing exists?

I back up my writing voraciously.  Every week every bit of writing is populated into three different locations.  One of those locations leaves with me daily.  Because of these actions I have great faith that my writing is safe.  In reality, none of it is real.  Each bit of data is simply an aligned charge on a disk.  Every word is a collection of those electrons.

Most of my banking is the same way.  Very little of what I earn or spend is translated to physical cash.  Still I swipe my plastic to pay for gas as if it were real money.  All of my commerce occurs in faith that what I do is backed up by the money I have.  I pay my bills and make many purchases digitally yet I have never seen a single datum.

Now the data world is migrating to the cloud.  The cloud is the use of remote servers to process, store, and manage data.  It means that we need to have faith in a storage system that we cannot see.  It means that even our data is not stored where we can see the storage.

In all of that I see an irony against which I must fight.  How can I place so much confidence in things that are digital and not have faith in God who created the laws that make the digits work?  I think I do not need to belabor this.  It is just something to ponder.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store."

1 comment: