09 June 2016

Pokémon Faith – You Got to Get Them All

Greetings Dear Reader,

My Grandsons and my Daughter are quite interested in the game and cartoon Pokémon.  The boys play games and make up stories.  The theme in this entertainment that catches my attention is the theme that “You got to catch them all.”

One of the reasons I see the church losing its effectiveness in the world is its division.  Jesus made it clear that a house divided against itself cannot stand.  We are very divided.  We fight over things that are not important to faith and following.  We judge and condemn those who do not follow Christ when he commands us love them.

Because we judge, reject, and condemn those outside of our faith we hinder out ability to “catch them all.”  We hinder our ability to reach others when we reject them.  We do not earn the right to be heard when we judge others.  We fail to love and so cannot reach others with the Gospel.

What is the solution to this?  The obvious one would be for Christ followers to stop acting in ways that are unloving.  It is our obligation.  It is our primary command from our Divine Master.  It is why we are given power and authority.  It is what we are supposed to embody as Christ followers.

To those who do not share my faith I offer this.  First I ask that you not judge us all based on those who do not follow in love.  Second and maybe more important I ask that you hold us all accountable.  If anyone claims to follow Christ, insist that they love sacrificially.  Demand that they treat everyone with kindness and respect.  Require us to act in a Christ like manner to everyone. 

Do not think that we have to approve of everything to act this way.  We do not.  I can believe that something is wrong and still be loving and non-judgmental to those who do those things.  I do not have to approve of all your actions to love you.  I do not have to judge you or condemn you to disapprove of your choices.   I am not required to accept everything that someone does or believes to love him or her. 

We are accountable to reach them all.  I am accountable to do that in love.  I ask the world to hold us all accountable.   Judge us on this benchmark.  Then notice who is willing to wear it.

Prayer of Saint Francis – Sarah McLachlan

Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace.
Where there is hatred, let me sow love;
Where there is injury, pardon;
Where there is doubt, faith;
Where there is despair, hope;
Where there is darkness, light;
Where there is sadness, joy.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek
To be consoled as to console,
To be understood as to understand,
To be loved as to love;
For it is in giving that we receive;
It is in pardoning that we are pardoned;
It is in dying to self that we are born to eternal life.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every writer who has become a disciple of Christ’s rule of the universe is like a home owner. He liberally hands out new and old things from his great treasure store.”

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

No comments:

Post a Comment