10 June 2009

My Friend Judas

Greetings Dear Readers,

I am trying to find that narrow path between right and wrong by purging my anger and loving others as I love myself. Above all I am trying to love God with all my heart in the way he wishes to be loved. I need to speak to an old friend who does not really wish to hear me. Perhaps you too can benefit from my conversation with Judas

Many years ago a student came to me asking questions about Judas. I have felt for a long time that Judas is both harshly judged and maligned by history. I will not say for a moment that what he did was not wrong. Judas did indeed deceive and hand over Jesus to those who eventually demanded that his crucifixion. What was Judas’ motive? This student, like many believed that Judas was condemned from the beginning of time to betray Christ and be nothing but a hated tool in the hands of God. This student once wrote that they should just be called Judas as well.

I do not believe that this is true. As I wrote about during Holy week, I believe that Judas was a man of great faith and poor obedience. I believe that Judas bought it all. I think that Judas knew that Jesus was God incarnate and that he hoped to push him to act. He wanted Christ to follow an agenda that was not Christ’s. Judas wished for Jesus to vanquish the enemies of Israel. Judas had the flaw of not seeing who Christ was beyond the power he wielded. I believe his repentance shows this.

I did all I could to reach out to this student. I gave him all the love I had to give and more. I still love, deeply and honestly, this student who became a friend and even family to me. He eventually betrayed me. He used my love and trust to set me up, to rob me, and to harm me deeply. My friend Judas betrayed me with a kiss.

I am not Christ. I was not perfect in our relationship. I know I failed my friend many times. None of my sins merit intentional premeditated betrayal. So what I have to say is simple. I forgive you Judas. Your sin is not upon your head as far as I am concerned. We are both very crooked sticks and our only hope is Christ. Unlike the Apostle Judas, you need not pay for the innocent blood you have shed because forgiveness is back where you fell. Full restoration is possible, but like all of us, you must bear the yolk of Christ that you swore to bear. The forgiveness is not conditional but you cannot call yourself my friend without repenting from your betrayal. As for me, I have been and always shall be your friend.

I love the Judas of the New Testament. I believe that he was not in line with God’s plan and just as stubborn as I am sometimes. I love my friend Judas. I have judged both of these people harshly at times and that was wrong. I always will love my friend Judas. I pray some day that he comes to his senses and sees that restoration is always possible as long as I am alive.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

No comments:

Post a Comment