29 June 2009

The Peach Truck

Greetings Dear Readers,

As many of you know I am a Southern gentlemen who moved to the Midwest some years ago. The reasons that I moved here have moved on but the place and I agree so I stay. There are a few things that I miss about my Georgia home. One of them is sweet, succulent, and salacious Georgia peaches. Then I discovered the Peach Truck. It comes every summer that the crop is good. The people who run it are honest and kind and they see to it that they keep the prices just and reasonable. For far less than it would cost me to go get them I can buy perfect peaches by the half-bushel and eat, freeze, eat, pickle, and eat them.

Throughout the year I enjoy the benefits of a few days of effort and the spending a few dollars. The point is that I get what may be the true perfect fruit on God’s green earth and it makes me miss Georgia both more and less. The truck is later than usual this year but it is coming. I still have a few frozen peaches from last year and will make some ice-cream for Independence Day I think.

Anticipating the truck this year has settled some things in my mind that are important to me. Since I was just in Georgia briefly, when the climate is at its worst, I know my thoughts about it are fresh. The day we loaded the truck to bring my Son, Bezel to Wisconsin the temperature was 100 degrees with 98% humidity. I hate summer weather in Georgia. It is hot, muggy, steamy, and you never really get dry. I miss my family but not enough to live in Georgia again. I miss the Varsity® and Chic-fil-A®. I miss Sunbeam Bread® and White Lilly Flour®. I miss listening to ALL of the Braves games on the radio.

As I write this it is 59 degrees and the humidity is 66%. I have the windows open and can breathe. The expected high is 73 degrees. All and all I love where I live, but the peach truck has me thinking. What have I given up to be in this place where I love to live? My parents are getting older and do not see them often. I have nieces and nephews I rarely see. My family is mostly far away. This place suits me but I realized today that I put more effort into finding out when the peach truck is coming than I did with communicating with my family whilst I was in Georgia. For this I publically apologize. I learned distance from my parents from my parents. I want to break that cycle somehow and have not yet found the key.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous30/6/09 21:01

    Thank you for the info!! I am already looking forward to my 1/2 bushel of peaches on Thursday, 7/9. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8/7/09 08:50

    Aramis.
    you are an inspration being able to public apologize for your wrong doings but to be able to hold on to the things you truly love. this is a great quilitiy I see in your wrightings.
    please as a reader, do not lose that.

    how do you say
    Wishing you joy in the journey

    ReplyDelete