17 November 2010

That’s why love is so Absurd

Greetings Dear Reader,

As amazing as grace is love is truly absurd. It sounds stupid to love those who hate you. It goes against the grain to love your enemy, forgive those who hurt you, and to take in those who would destroy you. It is completely absurd to turn the other cheek when you know you will be hit for it. It is stupid to think that it will do any good to love someone else for the sake of peace.

It is stupid, absurd, and mad but it is the only thing that works. It is love that burrows into the petrified heart. It is love that shatters stone and binds brokenness into power. It is love that is the only weapon whose strokes heal. Love is formidable and indomitable. Nothing can truly stand against it.

I must love at all costs. I must love the one who would kill me. I must love the spouse who abandoned me and broke my heart. I must love the child that refuses to see how far he is from his walk with Christ. I must love the co-worker who hates me for my faith. I have harmed Christ in all these ways and many more I do not even comprehend.

Not only must I love above all but I must absorb the hurt that is the cost of loving. No matter how much someone abuses my love for them, I must continue to love them. No matter how much it hurts to be near them I must accept them and do all that I can to live out the gospel of Christ in that relationship.

It is God’s blood that is shed for the sake of love and I dare not let one drop of it be shed in vain. I must amass the energy that is God’s love and deliver it with laser focus on all that I encounter. There is not cost great than the life of Christ so anything I am asked to pay is a pittance. It is absurd that God would allow Christ to miss a moment of his presence at the throne much less take on our pitiful shell of pain and withstand abuse at my hands.

Love is absurd but by God’s grace we are called and equipped to become obsessively absurd in our love toward others. God will raise great love from shattered hearts if we allow it. He will use that same love to raze pain if we will release it.

There is no room for division, abandonment, rejection, or dismissal of others. Reclamation demands it. We cannot say we follow Christ and reject anyone else. We cannot say we are his and dissolve the bonds we make in him. There is no room for anything but love without limit. Anything less IS truly absurd. I love you all; collectively and individually.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment