01 November 2010

The Vigil – Part 2

Greetings Dear Reader

Scanning the silence with inward ears; life is a listening.
Enfolded in echoes of timeless years; the Word comes whistling.
Build my being from your throat; meld my meaning with every note.
Wrap me round in an aural cloak, so I may truly hear. – Kemper Crabb

The metaphor here is also the meaning. So many have captured the significance of the image of Christ as the Living Word that perhaps I sometimes overlook just how central this is to all that I am. John begins his recounting of Jesus with this imagery, “In the beginning was the Word. The Word was with God and the Word was God.”

This thought, that God’s ultimate word on redemption was his own Son, Jesus is astounding. Today is All Saints Day. I have spent the last month in pondering how I approach the Advent season. I shall spend this month examining words and listening. My Grandfather used to always remind me that I had two ears and one mouth for a reason. Some of the most significant conversations I have ever had involved me mostly listening. I know I have really made a difference when one of my students tells me that I have really listened.

In light of the import of this truth, I must listen more carefully as Advent approaches. I must hear what my family is saying about the ways in which they wish to celebrate. I must put aside my own wants to focus on the needs of others. I must let the conversation of reclamation give me cues as to the direction I must take.

Listening and planning a proper response is much more valuable that creating the perfect Christmas fantasy. Putting Christ’s love at the forefront of my approach requires that I listen. I must hear his intent and translate it to all that I do. I must truly hear the needs of my family and respond to that. As I move among my fellow man I must listen to the immediate needs that I can meet. In a life of listening; the cry of mankind is my business. I must place my determination to listen to how Christ wishes us to love others at the center of my celebration of Christmas and prepare for it in that spirit.

This does not mean that I will not hold an open house or get gifts for those I love. It does mean that I need to assure that it all echoes who Christ is in the midst of it. I will listen as I prepare. I must assure that those who speak feel heard. It is my obligation to hear others as I wish to be heard. It is my place to listen to what Christ says and not assume I know. I must focus on the words of God’s final Word on redemption. How can I truly celebrate the Son if I do not listen to what he has to say?

Life is a listening.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment