07 November 2010

Unexpected Kindnesses

Greetings Dear Reader,

I like the movies. I like going to movies. My eldest Son says that I never dislike a movie. This is not true. The remake of Clash of the Titans was horrid. Now before you run off, this is not going to be a movie review, but rather a pondering on kindnesses I receive from people that make a difference.

Last week I had a three day weekend. On Friday I took Christmas to see a movie and on Saturday I took my younger Son, Bezel to see a different one. I almost always go to the same theatre and the staff knows me well. This is not just because I attend often but because I engage in polite conversation with them and often give them my review of whatever movie I have seen as I exit.

When my Son and I arrived everyone was dressed in Halloween costumes. The box offices were draped in fake spider webs. The manager at the box office perked up as we walked in and greeted us with a kind smile. As I handed over my money to pay for our tickets, it was politely refused. Instead the manager gave me a bright smile and said that the movie was a Halloween gift.

This past Friday I went to see the new Will Farrell movie, Megamind (I would caution that this is not really a children’s movie). As the credits rolled in the relative darkness a figure moving through the isle called my name. It was a former student who I care for deeply. I had not seen this student in over a year the reunion was warm and welcome.

Earlier in the week one of my fellow professors bought lunch for us all with no prompting. My campus director called me to tell me good news when he was in the midst of an important conference. Another friend reconnected with me just because he wanted to let me know how he was doing. A young friend John shared his home made movie with me giving me both laughter and delight (You can see this movie here. It is worth the view).

All of these kindnesses and more occurred in the space of only ten days. All during a week when I am struggling emotionally, God has put things in my path to remind me that he cares about me. This does not take into account the building aura of advent I feel, the anticipation of my Grandson’s arrival, or the amazing sun rise yesterday morning. Beautiful sunrises always make me think of my eldest Son. He knows why.

The beauty and grace of the world coupled with the constant presence of God in reminding through friends how much he cares for me has carried me through a rough sea. The storm is not over but I am sure the sails will hold and the course is still true. I am thankful to my friends and to God for the provision in my life. I hope you can see the same in yours. One really only has to look.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment