11 March 2011

And Some Have Compassion

Greetings Dear Reader,

I find myself very concerned about the political climate that is festering in my state. I know people who are devoted Christ followers on both sides of the issues. I wonder how often we forget who we are supposed to be in light of the issues that are before us. There is no issue or cause so important that we can abandon our pursuit of Christ to embrace it. I have done this in the past much to my detriment.

I have listened intently to all that is happening. I do not hear people addressing the Christ centered issues as they protest what the government does. I do not hear those who agree with our Governor speaking to those who oppose him with the voice of love and compassion they are due from Christ followers.

Politics and social awareness must be centered on who we are to be in Christ long before our pet issues or views. If I do not maintain my Christ centeredness in all that I do then what I do must be held suspect. I go to church with good people on both sides of these issues. I heard that two of my friends have dissolved their friendship over this mess.

I think that both sides have lost an aspect of compassion in this arena. I am obligated to consider the needs of others in all that I do and I am required to show respect for my government no matter how I feel about an issue. I am required to see the needs of the poor and address them. I am not allowed to shove that responsibility onto my government. I am not allowed to ignore anyone’s request to be heard.

My opinions run toward the middle. I think that government is the wrong place to seek redress for the needs of the poor. Christ clearly put that responsibility on his followers. Imagine the impact if we lived up to it. I think that fiscal responsibility should be something we demand of ourselves and our government. We cannot claim poverty if we waste the provision God gives us on vain pursuits.

What I do not hear in all of this is anyone lovingly telling everyone that the name calling, disrespect, and arguing is not the path to follow. This breaks my heart. We need to deal with every matter with the compassion that Christ does.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment