01 March 2011

Holding that Which Harms Me

Greetings Dear Readers,

I have opinions, feelings, and thoughts on almost everything. I am learning that having them and sharing them are two very different things. I am also learning how much it is important not to let how I feel be the guide for what I do. I have done some very hurtful things because I let how I felt determine what is right for me.

I am free to hold opinions. I am free to feel however I wish. I am free think, reason, ruminate. I am not free to consume others and harm them because of these things. One of the things about denying self in following Christ is not allowing others to suffer because of my personal views. If I am willing to impose my opinions on others then I am not putting them first.

Consider all the things that Christ followers divide over: How to be at church, whether or not to go to church, how we pray, how we use spiritual gifts, interpretation of prophecy…the list is long enough to drive me mad. I have positions on most of these issues. I have often imposed those views on others. If I am truly to follow Christ then I must deny my personal comfort in everything and put others ahead of myself.

This means that I must let Christ develop in others as he wills not based on what I think they should do. It is Christ’s example I and they should follow. It is Christ who must guide them and not my opinion. Even when I feel that someone is not doing what is best for them, I must have enough faith to let them find Christ where they are. He is far better suited to guide them than I am. I must love them so that they are free to keep listening.

It is Christ that matters and if I follow him my example should be enough without me proffering my opinion or judgment.

Wishing you joy in the journey,

Aramis Thorn
Mat 13:52 So Jesus said to them, "That is why every scribe who has become a disciple of the kingdom of heaven is like a home owner. He brings new and old things out of his treasure store."

No comments:

Post a Comment